Thursday, June 10, 2010

An International Mind


As my time in Australia quickly comes to an end, I am reflecting on my experiences here and how I am grateful I am for the friends I have made, the things I have learned, and the culture I have come to appreciate. During my stay I have tried to become as acculturated to life in WA as possible which included keeping my mouth shut (okay sometimes I just couldn't help it) about comparisons to America unless asked for my input, taking public transportation, visiting key places, joining the community, and learning the ways of  religion, food, and sports. I stumbled across this quote (can you tell I love quotes?) which nicely summed up my view on traveling:
When we go abroad we should try to respect and act in harmony with the culture, values and customs of the country we are visiting. The world is getting smaller and smaller. These days I think it is important to develop an international mind.. Yes, instead of judging each country from the standards of culture, traditions and lifestyle that we are familiar with, we should be aware of the world teeming diversity and learn to accept and embrace it. Developing an international mind does not mean discarding our cultural identity or traditions. It simply means casting off the tendency to judge things as superior or inferior based on our native standards or values ( The Human Revolution, vol 5 p60) .
Cheers from a girl's reflection
p.s. picture thanks to weheartit.com

2 comments:

Michael said...

Love this!

Becca said...

you are a rock star at comments Michael!!! Keep em up :) I think it would be fun to keep my blog going, although I suppose I'd have to change the focus form Aussie to life in general?