Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Wow.

See that mountain over there? 

In Bikram today, after three days of struggling, fighting the temperature, taking breaks as most beginners do, and even taking a day off for rest; today, my body was somewhere over by the mountain and my mind was way over on this side of the fence. My mind let restraint go, kicked to the curbside. 
I want to march my way up to the mountain's peak and make a very loud, exhilarating announcement, (announcement, announcement, announcement!) 
"I GET IT!". 

I get it. 
I get what yoga is about. 
I get that it is more about the mind than the body (granted they say you can burn up too a thousand calories in 90 minutes of Bikram, and your body is always a bit sore). I get that one day you may surrender your mind completely and be on this side of the fence and another day your mind and body might be, at well, civil war. I get that yoga isn't always about the here and now but also about whether you can still do it twenty years from now. I get that once you walk into a Bikram yoga studio all the choices you've made throughout that day are now on pause. In yoga, it's not a choice. Your body knows the transitions, the heat, the positions are not a choice. So tell you mind to take a back seat, stop making choices, let go, but still concentrate, and plunge through the full ninety minutes.

All I can say is it's been a WOW day in yoga.
Alright enough of the yogi blabber, enough of exhileration, I'm all about sleep now.

Cheers, from a girl on the far side of the fence
P.s. photo via weheartit.com

No comments: