Sunday, February 21, 2010

My Life's List

I have a list of 38 things I would like to do in my lifetime.
BTW, if you think there is something I should add to my life list, please let me know!

Of the things I have on it include:

Sail for 24 plus hours straight
Laugh until milk comes out of my nose
Work for make-a-wish foundation
Go on a true road trip
Take acoustic guitar lessons

Some of things I have been able to check off so far:
Dance in the rain, barefoot
Drive a motorcycle
Go Bungee Jumping
Buzz my hair
Be someone's role model

And NOW.... (drum roll please)

SURFING



Let it be known that in my lifetime I have skateboarded, skied, snowboarded, water skied, and windsurfed. Was any of that slightly helpful?


No.


In fact, that only thing was useful was my background as a dancer and thus my balancing capabilities.
Surfing = hard, but very rewarding.

How to Surf : the Dummies' Guide
  1. Wear tight-fitting swim gear, such as a wet suit OR I can promise you will quickly find yourself naked (this is not the time for those cute bikinis)
  2. Wake up early in the morning with a hearty breakfast
  3. Discover a beach with decent sized waves, say 3 feet swells, after all we are beginners here
  4. Strap on your board's ankle leash
  5. Paddle out into the fierce-looking ocean
  6. Time out a wave and then glide onto your board, belly facing down.
  7. Arm paddle your little heart out
  8. Push up (military style)
  9. Assume position
  10. Then enjoy the ride and...thank the surfing gods that allowed you to get this far
  11. Paddle out again into the now less intimidating waves and repeat steps 6-9


So here I am, after an early morning of surfing. I caught some waves and some waves caught me too so I suppose the Indian Ocean and I are even (smile).

Just when you thought my day of excitement was over...
I find myself

HERE.
Looking at a large collection of thongs and shoes.

Lets play a little game of Where is Becca?
A. At an outdoor church where shoes are not permitted
B. The Australian lost and found
C. About to go sandboarding
D. The Official Entry to the Outback



And the answer is.... C. About to go sandboarding.

This here, is a sandboard. Doesn't look like much, hey?


Now, you are supposed to do this sitting down, but I know better.


Plus, how gangsta do I look?

Just goes to show, have goals in mind (like learning to surf), reach for them, and sometimes a little extra is thrown in too (sandboarding).

Cheers, your balancing Becca

7 comments:

Erica G said...

Surfing is fantastic and so much fun!! Sandboarding looks awesome and I'll have to try it some time. You're beautiful and I can't wait to read more about your adventures on the opposite end of the world. P.S. I'm finishing up The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - not what I expected at all but a good suggestion, thanks!!

Becca said...

Just remember before sand boarding to bring some wax (like a candle) for the bottom of your board otherwise it will not work :). I found the book a little overwhelming the first chapter but every chapter there after I was intrigued. I am not sure if I am going to continue with the trilogy, what do you think?

Erica G said...

If I do continue, it won't be for a while - that was a bit intense.

Michael said...

Surfing is awesome, I'm glad you started on a short board :) Definitely rewarding after your first wave!

Ice climbing should be on your list.

Becca said...

Ice climbing eh. Something about that seems dangerous, ice breaking off with an unlucky pick in. You done some surfing yourself bro?

Unknown said...

I can help make the REAL road trip happen...my boyfriend just happens to own a road trip BUS complete with bunk beds. Wanna go see some redwoods or something when we're back in the US of A?

Becca said...

Uh....Dani! You know I am in. That would be AMAZING and probably one of the best adventures ever. How are things over your way in the world?