Tuesday, February 23, 2010

When all else fails... be a skink!

This is a Skink. I know this because I met one on my walk home from the lap pool today. Besides making me have flash backs to my childhood moments in Florida, this particular skink made me curious. I naively called it a lizard, and Tessa informed me that, "it was probably a skink".


Upon further discussion, I now know that skinks have an usual adaptive/ defense mechanism : if a prey picks them up by the end of the tail, they can lose their tail and continue on their (now) hurried way. The tail then grows back rather quickly afterwards. As well being the largest family of lizards in the world, they are also widely popular in Australia.


Kate (the other American) and I have recently discovered that our Graduate Prac. Work (our student teaching) may extend on into the first part of July (at least according to our syllabus). As we walk into class tomorrow it is our intention to speak with our Professor about these dates. We were both told our school responsibilities will be over by the 19th of June. Hopefully, like the skink lizard both us and the school of education will be able to adapt.

Cheers, your skinky mate
* Update : since writing this, all has been cleared up and arrangements have been made that rest assured my flight back home (June 20th) is still on

1 comment:

Caitlin jordan said...

That skink looks like a stink.
Lose it's tail, might as well be a whale
For all the good that may do,
I'm glad it's only by you.
What happens to the tail?
Does it come in the mail?
That's a lot of postage...
And I killed my poem with that one! Not that it made much sense anyway :)
Love you Miss Becca!