Monday, March 29, 2010

The hound dogs are at it again...

I have received my second letter of communication from the hound dogs! Let's follow the same format as last time eh folks : below is the original letter and I have inputted my responses.

Hello Becca!
Here is our second set of questions for our Becca Blog. We really enjoyed the response you posted last time. We also enjoy reading your Blog, looking at the pictures of the beaches and your mates, learning about Perth, and the experiences you are having. The hound dogs here in Muskegon, Michigan would like to ask:

1. Have you been homesick since being there?

I must explain that I have been traveling from the moment I was born and I have been told that I seem to "not let the grass grow very long under my feet". In short I have a suitcase heart. Throughout my travels I have people that I miss and would've liked to pack along with me. Then there are the cultural differences that I notice but I don't think I've ever been homesick in my life. I reckon though if this was my first time away from home it would be a whole different story!

2. Have you been to McDonald’s or Hungry Jacks yet? If so, as claimed, is it better than American fast food?

I'm not really that interested fast food in general so I have yet to indulge in Mickey D's or Hungry Jacks. Kate, the other girl from my University, has expressed disappointment in the breakfast menu at Mickey D's though!

3. Are public schools in session right now since it’s summer? We are confused about that.

The school year here is from February until October. February is just on the tail end of summer down under and Autumn is already here. If it helps think about how we (Americans) head back to school at the end of summer just before the leaves start changing because remember the Southern Hemisphere follows the opposite seasons from us! Do you know why?

4. What’s playing at the movie theater right now? Are the same movies playing in America?

I just posted about the Alice and Wonderland film which explains how I originally thought I would be watching films way after everyone back home got them, but instead I actually get to see them two days prior! The same main screen shows are out right now : Alice in Wonderland, How to Train a Dragon, Dear John, Remember Me, Green Zone, Avatar, The Bounty Hunter, etc. Then there also weekend outdoor showings in the park that are more artsy films such as : The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (watch out! It was a little too mature, even for more (smile) ).

5. What do public school students wear for their uniforms?

There are different uniform styles to allow for personal choices as well as to match the season! The uniform reflects a school's colors and emblem. Currently most girls are wearing a collared dress, or a polo shirt and skirt and boys are wearing a polo shirt with cargo shorts. Toe covering shoes and a sun hat are required as well. I'll have to post some pictures from my school !

6. What are tim tams and tiger toast?

Hrm.. how to describe a tim tam... There are two layers of malted cookies surrounded by chocolate. I think I best just put a picture up of the chocolate delight:


Photo thanks to Arnotts.com.au

Have you heard to the yeast spread, Vegemite? You can get it at some grocery stores in the states because it was bought out by Kraft. Perhaps you can persuade Mrs. Fitzpatrick to bring some in for a taste test! Disclaimer: spread it really, really, really thin. Tiger toast is when you spread Vegemite on toast and then top it with melted cheese. Not my cup of tea but others find it quite tasty!

7. Were you good at surfing? Have you gone back?

I did catch a few waves!! Which is a really good sign for a beginner but I haven't had the chance to go back. I have been keeping my eye out for surfing friends to tag along with though.

8. Why can’t you wear shoes in church or is it just church at the beach?

Shoes are welcome everywhere! My feet fell constricted in shoes especially during the summer so I was delighted when I saw some of my fellow church goers slipping their shoes under their seats during the service and tying them up again after wards. I didn't mean for it sound like shoes weren't allowed... Sorry!


Photo thanks to weheartit.com

9. Where’s the strangest place you’ve been since being there that made you feel like you weren’t in America?

This has been your trickiest question yet... Let me ponder...
Besides the first day of my arrival where I felt a little bit helpless with not being familiar with the city, friends, transportation, etc I would say the first day I went grocery shopping! Sounds lame, but imagine going to a store, say for a package of cookies (hey we all have our cravings!). If you asked a worker where they were, you'd sound realize they are called something else (biscuits) then directing to the right aisle. Once you find the section, you can't find graham crackers, or those delicious ginger snaps you are accustomed to , in fact you might not see a single brand you recognize! Hrm, now what? Oh! I spy some oreos... I usually don't buy those in the states but at least I know that they are. What? Only one kind of oreo? Then, you notice the price, two dollars more expensive then what you pay for them. So you try to remember how much they were back in the States, ponder the conversion, and wonder if they are worth it. After calculating it out, you think "maybe I can't be bothered to buy Oreos after all." Now repeat that cognitive process for everything else on your grocery list : exhausting!!!

10. Are all the holidays the same, such as St. Patrick’s Day?

The ten public holidays celebrate in Western Australia include : New Year's Day, Australia day, Labour Day, Good Friday, Easter Monday, ANZAC Day, Foundation Day, the Queen's Birthday, Christmas Day and Boxing Day.


ANZAC day is day of remembrance
Photo thanks to globalvoicesonline.org

St. Patrick's Day isn't really celebrated here but I assure you that didn't stop my mates and I from having a great time!! Halloween is casually celebrated here on an adult party level, so no trick o' treating (bummer!). Thanksgiving is the other main holiday in America that isn't recognized here but that makes sense since it was Columbus coming to America not Australia :). They also have a Labor day or should I spell it, Labour Day which is similar context to us but celebrated on a different date from us!

We are celebrating St. ‘Fitzpatrick’s’ Day today with beads and lots of green! Happy St. Patrick’s Day, Hound dogs

Dear Hound Dogs,
I hope that St. Fitzpatrick's Day turned out very well. Did everyone wear their share of green? Maybe you even enjoyed a little Irish Hurling (a game a little bit like Cricket)? I hope I can continue to keep up with my adventures and that you continue to think of thought-provoking questions!
Cheers, Becca

No comments: