Friday, May 28, 2010

A page from my journal..

I am required to keep a journal during my prac here with observations about my classroom, notes on my experience and comparisons between the education system back home and here.
So a page from my journal:


When considering documents and procedures that the Western Australian curriculum is based on, Outcome Based Education (OBE) comes to mind due to the most recent shift in the Australia education system (started in 1990). Outcome Based Education focuses on  individual student learning outcomes with accountability on what students specifically achieve. OBE  allows for school's creating their own tweaked version of the curriculum in which all schools strive for the same goals with varying ways of achieving them. However another shift has occurred with a National Curriculum being instituted in 2011. Currently National and State priorities in the education system includes: literacy, numeracy, civics, and ICT.
As for now, during my prac, documents to reference while planning lessons are: the Curriculum Framework, Curriculum Guides, K-10 Syllabus, Early Years Learning Framework and the Pre-primary Profile. With so many documents to reference many educators will be welcoming in the National Curriculum, hoping to have more specific guidelines for each developmental level.

When creating lessons I currently lean on the Curriculum Framework. I find all the curriculum documents to be very broad in comparison to the Michigan GLCEs. Who would have thought one day I'd truly appreciate the GLCEs?

Cheers, from a lesson planning girl
p.s. picture thanks to weheartit.com

No comments: